Throughout the years of studying fashion and textiles, I have always struggled finding my own unique style of fashion illustrating. However, I took the time to experiment with many different styles until I was happy with the style I liked. In past projects I have worked with media’s like gouache paints but I wanted to teach myself and improve on my skills of using promarkers. After spending hours practicing different styles and using promarkers to capture texture and shading in a garment I was able to achieve a unique fashion illustration style that I could call my own. Instead of adding colour to the hair of my croquis I decided to stick with the basic line drawing because I didn’t want the volume of the hair to overpower the garment she was wearing. This worked really well because all of the attention was drawn straight to the garment, drapery, details and colours.
This afternoon we were given the task to construct a sculpture that was made from wooden sticks and layers of cotton and embroidery threads that interlocked with each other. I decided to start constructing a triangular base for my sculpture and construct a 3D edgy sculpture. Once the base and structure of my sculpture was completed, I continued the trend of spray painting my work with silver paint before wrapping and interlocking cotton and embroidery thread. I decided to use the colours black, red, orange and yellow as I have never worked with these colours before.
To take my experimentation further I decided to play around with the placement of my edgy sculpture of a female mannequin. This also enabled me to picture where my sculpture could be used in a garment. After experimenting with the placement many times in different areas I then decided to experiment with draping netting around the mannequin while pinning my sculpture ontop. This made my final placement outcomes more expressive and bold because of the drapery involved behind and around the 3D sculpture. I was then ready to printed my photographs out and draw onto them to design more unique and creative shapes.
We were given the task to create three A5 textile pieces and two 30cm yarn samples that were constructed from a range on unconventional materials. My first textile sample was created from wire that was used in the machinery industry. I was drawn to the texture and overall shine look this wire had so I decided to play on this and make the shape more interesting by bending strips and securing them with hot glue. I decided to layer and combine these individual pieces to create a very intense, edgy and industrial textile sample. I am really happy with the final outcome of first textile sample because it was very futuristic take on textiles which was challenging to me as I’m usually not drawn to this take on fashion and textiles.
My second textile sample was constructed from an A5 sized cardboard sheet that was constructed in a zigzag form. This meant that I was able to wrap a continuous yarn of wool between the gaps in the cardboard to add depth and different layers to the simple sheet of cardboard. I completed this sample by spray painting the wool and cardboard. I’m really happy with the final outcome because the wool was able to absorb the particles in the spray paint and highlight the fine yarns that made up the wool yarn. I am very happy with the final outcome of my second textile piece because it reminded me of the rope you find interlocked with cages used for fishing.
My third textiles sample piece was constructed from a range of materials. I used cardboard as the base of my sample and hot glued strips of paper, flat wire and crinkled wire. I made sure all the materials interlocked with each other and I incorporated layers to add depth to my textile piece. I decided to complete sample by spray painting a silver to continue to theme of futuristic. I didn’t have a method behind the placement of the materials and I thought this worked really well because it proved to myself that I don’t have to overthink everything I do and take risks/challenges to achieve interesting outcomes.
We spent the afternoon visiting Shrewsbury museum and art gallery to collect a wide range of primary research for our upcoming art project.
We were given the task to pick a garment that we will liked the look of and collect a range of photos of the up close detail, shapes, textures and colours. We also looked around the whole of the museum to see if anything else related to our chosen garment.
I’ve decided to focus all my attention to the Albania sleeveless jacket as I loved the continuous beaded embroidery. I also loved the contrast of bold and dramatic colours which made this garment stand out more compared to the others surrounding it. I noticed that the sleeveless jacket was made up of a floral and swirl pattern so I decided to venture round the museum to find other details and objects that related to my chosen garment.
My Chosen Garment:
Related Primary Research:
After spending a few minutes dressing the mannequins in draped garments and hanging flowers from the ceiling, we were then able to sketch all the different shapes, shadows and detail on the garments. By dressing the mannequins and hanging the flowers upside down, we were able to capture many interesting an unusual shapes visually and in our sketches.
I really enjoyed trying to capturing these bold shapes and details in my sketch. I then decided to use acrylic paints to capture all the bold and colourful colours in our display. Acrylics paints were really easy to use because I was able to create so many different tones and shades of one colour but just adding white to the paint.
To take my visual sketching further, I will practise and experiment more at home to get more confident with the acrylic paints. We were also given the task as homework to collect a range of draped garments, floral, patterns and textures and display them in our sketchbook with rough sketches.